Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Red Velvet Cake

My mom made this for us every Valentine's Day along with a heart shaped meatloaf. It is a tradition I have continued on with my family. I have yet to find a better recipe for this cake however you have to follow it exactly with no substitutions or it doesn't turn out.

1 c. butter (no margarine or crisco)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs

Cream together. Add:

2 oz red food coloring
2 T. cocoa powder

Mix. Then Add:

1 c. buttermilk
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

Add the salt and the vanilla to the batter and alternate the flour and the buttermilk.

Last of all, in a seperate bowl mix:
1 tsp baking soda and 1 T. vinegar

Let sit for a few minutes then add to rest of ingredients.

Bake in greased pan at 350 for 25 minutes (I use two rounds or heart shape but you can use rectangular as well).

When cool, frost with following recipe:

Frosting:
1 c. milk
4 T. flour

whisk together. cook til thick. cool in fridge. Once cool:

Beat together:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. crisco
2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Beat very well. Add flour mixture a Tablespoon at a time. Beat til fluffy. Keep cake refrigerated.

***Sometimes I put White chocolate shavings on top if I want it to be prettier but tastewise it can stand on its own without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment