Chicken Tortilla Soup (Amy Lanning) note--corrected recipe!!
1 large diced white onion
2 minced garlic cloves
2 TBS oil
4 oz. can of green chilies
1 can (15 oz) stewed tomatoes (Mexican style)
2 cans chicken broth
2 cans creamy chicken soup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp Tabasco
4 TBS flour
½ Cup water
1 chicken (rotisserie) shredded
4 oz. Velveeta cheese
1/3 Cup sour cream
corn tortilla strips (Jose Peppers will sell their tortilla strips cheap)
1. Sauté (5 min.): onion, garlic, and oil.
2. Add (then simmer 20 mins.): chilies, tomatoes, broth, creamy chicken soup, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, Tabasco.
3. Mix: flour and water (smooth consistency), then add to soup, bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Add: chicken, sour cream, and Velveeta cheese.
5. Add: garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
6. Garnish with toppings: tortilla strips (corn tortillas sprayed with Pam, salted and baked in oven until crispy), cilantro, and avocado to taste. (Serves 8 people)